Mid Level PHP Developer
We're doing the impossible by making tax easy with clever code. Up for the challenge?
What is TaxTim?
TaxTim is a friendly, all-digital tax robot, making tax easy for millions of South Africans. Operating much like a simple WhatsApp chat, TaxTim contains the brains of several tax experts rolled into one, and helps people to do their own tax returns quickly, easily and with confidence.
What we're proud of:
Perks of the job:
- Started in 2011 with seed funding from Google
- Integrated with SARS eFiling
- Have helped over 7 million South Africans to date
- Partnerships with Momentum, Sanlam, Old Mutual and PwC
- Expanded into Namibia and Nigeria
Cool projects in 2021:
- You get to pick your workhorse; we like Apple Macbooks and Dell XPSs
- Your very own Skillshare account, to feed your hungry mind
- All the software licenses you could possible need
- Flexible work hours whilst working from home (Thanks, Rona)
- Create miracles that people love you for by Making Tax Easy
- You estimate, schedule and own your projects
- Rock up in shorts, slops and take over the couch / Vetsak
- Work in beautiful Cape Town, next to a new coffee machine, across from a bakery
- Small team = great start-up experience and anti-big corporate feel
- Financial assistance with moving to Cape Town
- Moving our Puppeteer crawlers into AWS Lambda and SQS
- Migrating our PHP codebase into a RESTful Symfony API
- Migrating our front-end into a Vuejs SPA
- Integrating our offerings with one of SA's leading banks
- Integrating our Small Business product with eFiling and Xero
- Strong knowledge of PHP (3+ years practical OOP experience, Wordpress doesn't count)
- Strong knowledge of MySQL (3+ years practical experience)
- PHP MVC framework experience (2+ years practical experience using Symfony, or Laravel works too)
- Competent with source control (2+ years practical experience using Git)
- Comfortable working in a Linux environment (we like Ubuntu)
- A creative problem solver, that's willing to explore, with a collaborative open source type mindset
- Interested to learn a lot, be coached into best practices, work in a team and be corrected at times, confident asking for help
- Self-directed and self-motivated, able to up-skill and learn new technologies without supervision
- Fluent in English (written and verbal)
- Architect, develop and maintain both internal and client-facing functionality, from inception through to deployment, full life cycle
- Write clean, efficient and reusable code, utilizing best practices such as SOLID, DRY and KISS
- Monitor, test, improve and upgrade existing functionality
- Assist with refactoring legacy code into a new Symfony / Vuejs based system
- Assist with maintaining and improving an AWS based production environment
- Create and consume APIs (both REST and SOAP)
- Work closely with our CTO Evan, HOD John, and the rest of the dynamic dev team
R35-50k (based on skill and experience)
Keen to apply? Take our digital chat bot interview with TaxTim now!
We're excited to meet you!
for more information.
← Back to all jobs