Monthly provisional tax payment and foreign exempt income

Educator says:
2 February 2016 at 11:26

Context: I am paid by a foreign employer in USD and will be processing tax payments in my own capacity. I understand from previous questions that I should register as a Provisional Tax Payer. I have two questions:
1) Is it possible to make monthly payments to SARS instead of at the 2 periods in time? If yes, how?
2) I will likely have to work outside the country for period of 183 days/ 61 days continuously - how do I go about getting the refund/ processing my tax given this?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
7 February 2016 at 17:05

Monthly payments is only possible if the company you work for is registered as an employer in South Africa with SARS. If this is not the case, you will need to pay provisional tax twice a year.
What is Provisional Tax? How and when?

Please work through the link below to see if you would qualify for the foreign income exemption.
Can I claim a portion of my foreign income as exempt?

If so, you would need to include the exempt income under "Amounts not considered taxable" on your income tax return under the block for "Exempt amount i.t.o s10(1)(o). This tax should then be refunded on assessment by SARS.

Avoid the confusion, Register for TaxTim and let TaxTim ask you all the right questions one-by-one so that you complete your tax return correctly, and get your maximum allowable tax refund.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.