Do your Tax with TaxTim and WIN R10,000  More info   T&C's apply

How to calculate travel expenses?

Journeyman says:
6 June 2016 at 15:30

I will be claiming tax back on travel for business use for the first time. I have maintained a logbook since starting my new job in the middle of the current tax year 2015/16. Please advise what the "fixed cost" is, and how I can calculate what tax rebate I should expect to receive from SARS in July.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
6 June 2016 at 16:49

Please make use of our Travel Allowance calculator to get an idea of which is the best method you should use when claiming a travel allowance deduction.

Journeyman says:
6 June 2016 at 18:40

Great, thanks for the response. The calculator. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Journeyman says:
6 June 2016 at 18:42

Am I still entitled to the rebate if the car I use for work purposes is not registered in my name? I am the only driver of the vehicle.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
7 June 2016 at 11:32

Yes you can claim this deduction, you would just need to justify to SARS why the car is not in your name if queried.

Journeyman says:
7 June 2016 at 11:38

Great, thanks for the feedback.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
7 June 2016 at 11:57

Only a pleasure!

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.