Can I claim for tax if I have been overseas for a year?

My company has sent me overseas for studies with full pay for a year. I also receive an allowance for all my expenses overseas (accomodation, food, transport ...etc).
My first question: Should I declare all the allowance received while I was overseas? My second question: Can I claim for taxes that my employer has paid from my salary while I was overseas?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
17 June 2013 at 22:11

Are the studies as part of your career path?

Sepoko says:
17 June 2013 at 23:01

Yes, the studies are as part of my career path

TaxTim TaxTim says:
18 June 2013 at 19:37

If you are earning a salary - even if it is for time off - then you will still have to pay taxes on those earnings, however there are sections within the tax act that then allow for this income to be exempt from tax provided you meet the criterion -

Foreign Income

The allowance received will be subject to certain exempt amounts, a per day allowance, but you will have to pay tax on the difference. If your employer is paying for your studies you may be subject to tax on this as well. However they will provide you with an IRP5 for all of this. Your actual salary as mentioned above will most likely be tax exempt if you meet the requirements.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
20 June 2013 at 12:37

Only a pleasure!

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.