Business travel from home office

Sajit says:
12 March 2019 at 11:02

I work for a multi-national company and I am home based. I would like to find out, when I travel into the office for meetings, can I claim that mileage as business travel? Also, just for interest sake, would it be different if I was a salary earner and I did receive a travel allowance?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
12 March 2019 at 12:21

If you are a freelancer or work on a commission basis for the company then yes, you can claim for these expenses as you need to go to these meetings to be able to derive income. Should you be a straight salary earner and you do not receive a travel allowance, you unfortunately can't claim your travel expenses.
Travel from home to the office is regarded as private travel and you can't claim this if you only receive a travel allowance. Therefore, you would unfortunately not be able to claim if you are a salary earner receiving a travel allowance. SARS does not acknowledge travel from home to office and vice versa as being a part of the travel deduction calculation. Please refer to our calculator here: Travel Allowance

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.