How to Register for SARS eFiling
Submit your tax return forms online quickly and easily using SARS eFiling
In order to use SARS eFiling, you will need your own tax reference number.
If you do not have one, please see how to get a South African tax number
Go to www.sarsefiling.co.za
Click on Register
Look for the option For Individuals
. Click the little blue arrow button to continue.
You will be shown the SARS eFiling Terms and Conditions - read them to understand your rights.
You will need to click the checkbox next to "I accept" and press the Continue
button to proceed.
You will then be asked to complete the registration form with your personal details. Some helpful hints:
- you should only be registering for eFiling if you have a Tax Reference Number already or are in possession of an IT150 Blue Letter from SARS.
See here for how to get a tax reference number.
- if you are unsure as to whether you need to register for provisional tax, click here to find out.
- if you are married, be sure to click the correct button for Married in Community of Property. "Married in community of property" is a legal term that means all your assets and income are split evenly between you and your spouse, this information would have been recorded in your marriage contract.
- if you have a tax practitioner then enter their details here. Your practitioner will have a practitioner registration number in the format of PR-xxxxxx which they should be able to give to you. This will help SARS identify who your practitioner is in case they need to be contacted.
- be sure to answer the security questions with answers that you will remember. These are used to get your password back if you forget it. When asked for a Helpful Hint question, it is important to make this something that is secure and that nobody else but you is likely to guess, also something that is easily remembered. You don't want to have to phone SARS to reset this each time you forget.
- your password must have a number, letter and symbol as well as a capital letter - for example johnRob#1234.
Now click Register
On the next page you will see a list of communication types. SARS wants you to register for certain notifications or messages. You will see:
- "Provisional Tax (IRP6)" - ONLY if you are registering as a provisional taxpayer do you select this.
- "Individual Income Tax (ITR12)" all individuals must select this.
- "IT Admin penalty" - this option must be selected. It is used to send you messages when things go wrong with your tax return.
For each communication type you will need to enter your tax reference number in the box that says "Reference Number" and then select which tax office is the nearest to you. Once you have filled in your details for each selected communication type, press the Register
button at the bottom of the form.
The last step is to download a summary of your registration form from SARS eFiling. Click on Home
, then Summary
, then Declaration to eFile
. Complete and sign the form, include a copy of your ID and then either fax these documents to SARS on (011) 602 5312, or send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org to finalise your eFiling registration.
You are done with registration! In 1 - 2 days time return to www.sarsefiling.co.za
, login with the registration details you setup above and click the Returns
tab where you will now be able to view your returns for submitting.
Stuck at registration?
After registration, if SARS does not automatically register you and you are stuck, unable to start your tax return, it might be the case that SARS requires further documentation from you. To find out, you can still login to eFiling, then if you click on the User
tab at the top you may see a line saying "Pending Registration". Click this and you will notice a "Case Created" message. Clicking on that should display a letter from SARS asking for a certified ID, proof of address or similar document proof. There will be an option to upload digital copies of these documents directly. This message usually appears 24 - 48 hours after trying to register on eFiling. If you are still having hassles, call SARS on 0800 00 7277.