Working for a non SA company and working mostly out of RSA - do I have to pay tax?


Thanks for all the info on your site! I have learned quite a bit.

My Question: I have not registered for tax and I have been working outside RSA for the past 3 years, I was out of RSA for 190 days in 2012 and 160 days in 2011 - do I have to pay tax? I work for a UK company but get my fees in an RSA account.

Best regards

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
2 September 2013 at 23:17

Were you out of SA for over a 183 days in a 12 month period over the 2011 and 2012 tax years with 60 of those being consecutive? If that is the case, then the income earned from working outside of SA, so the time spent outside of SA/365 multiplied by the income earned would be tax free. The rest of the income however would still be subject to tax as you are still a South African tax resident.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.