Do your tax with TaxTim and WIN R10,000  T&C's apply
How do you currently do your tax?
SARS eFiling Tax Practitioner Auto-assessment New to tax

Will I pay penalties?

I have been working for around 12 years in permanent jobs, and have never registered for tax, I want to now register as a tax payer. Will I have to pay penalties for this?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
17 May 2013 at 14:08

Have your previous employers ever deducted PAYE against the income you earned and payed it over to SARS?

Scott says:
17 May 2013 at 14:15

Yes they have.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
17 May 2013 at 14:21

If you had no other income or any deductions to claim then you should not be penalised for not submitting a return if your income was less than R160 000 and smaller amounts in previous years.

I suggest registering for a tax number and begin submitting your tax return going forward.

We have a very helpful guide on how to register as a taxpayer - click here

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.