Why has my assessment changed?

I submitted my tax return for year 2012 and I was told that I will be refunded then they asked me to submit my documents. I got a mail back from SARS saying I own them or am incorrect. Help please because first it was a minus amount and now it is a amount without the minus. Does this mean I own SARS? If yes is there a way I can ask for a reassessment or must i go in to SARS office to check everything?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
24 October 2012 at 6:38

On the second document which says you owe SARS money, have a look down the paragraph and there should be an overall balance figure, If this is still a negative this means that you are still due a refund, but that because of your supporting documentation not agreeing with what you put into your return. You can challenge this by clicking on request objection on your eFiling profile.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.