When receiving a travel allowance, can I claim depreciation the vehicle?

I use my own car (which is financed) to do my work (labour law consultant) for a company. Can I claim depreciation against my car for this?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
12 October 2012 at 1:06

The depreciation element is built into the deduction calculation that SARS allows when claiming all your expenditure against a travel allowance. When receiving a travel allowance you would need to keep a logbook of all business travel combined with any expenditure on the car which would then be allowed as a deduction against the travel allowance. You cannot claim a depreciation/wear and tear allowance on your motor vehicle.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.