What type of business entity would be the most tax efficient for forex trading?

I am considering doing forex trading professionally and would like to know what would be the best business entity to open a trading company from a tax perspective. The choices I have to my knowledge are a Sole prop or private company.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
22 March 2013 at 10:16

A company would attract tax at 28% and if you make any dividend payout then a further 15% on those dividends. The highest tax rate for an individual trading as a sole prop would be 40%, but this is for taxable income/profit over R638 000 per year - so you would need to look at the profitability of the business before deciding.

Furthermore the administrative costs of running a company if it just you doing the trading can be a lot and take up quite a bit of unnecessary time.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.