What other medical expenses can I claim from SARS?

Hi I have medical aid, due to the dr asking private rates I had to pay the dr for every visit an extra R100, I had several visits and now the dr has to do a procedure and I have to pay in an aditional amount can I claim back the money from SARS?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
1 April 2013 at 12:42

You can claim any medical expense such as doctor's bills as a tax deduction, but there is a threshold that SARS allows before there is a tax benefit. You would add up all the fees that your medical aid does not cover and include these on the income tax return you submit each year. Remember to keep records and proof of payment for all bills and accounts, otherwise SARS may not accept.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.