What is the tax situation is w.r.t. a donation of less than R100 000 from a child to a parent?

I know that it is possible to donate up to R100k per year to your children, but what about a donation to your retired parents? Especially if they are financially dependent on you?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
30 January 2013 at 16:34

You can make a donation to anyone during the tax year and not pay donations tax up to R100 000. However if you are paying for your parents' medical aid and living costs etc which is in the ordinary course of living arrangements then this is not seen as a donation and will not fall into this section of the act.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.