Do your tax with TaxTim and WIN R10,000  T&C's apply
How do you currently do your tax?
SARS eFiling Tax Practitioner Auto-assessment New to tax

What is the tax on child maintenance?

I am divorced. My ex pays monthly child maintenance for two children. Could you advise whether I have to include this monthly maintenance as part of my income?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
26 August 2012 at 0:18

Although considered Gross Income you will not be taxed on this amount as it is specifically exempt under the Income Tax Act. You would include this amount in the section, "amounts considered not taxable" and include it under other with a description.

Don't worry, no tax is paid on this amount!

Gemi says:
26 August 2012 at 10:49

Thank you, Tim. You've been very helpful!

TaxTim TaxTim says:
26 August 2012 at 19:24

Only a pleasure!

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.