What is my tax obligation if I am self employed earning R1500 profit per month?

I am a housewife running a gardening service on the side. My current income is R2 700 of which I pay a worker R1 200. Thus R1 500 profit (using my husband's private gardening equipment). Do I have to register for tax or at what point should I register for tax? What is my tax obligations concerning my employee?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
21 April 2013 at 22:42

You do not need to register for tax based on your earnings, but you would need to register your gardener for UIF - unemployment insurance as he/she will have to contribute 1% and you will have to contribute 1% to UIF per month. You would need to do this if your gardener works more than 24 hours a month for you.

https://www.labour.gov.za/legislation/acts/basic-guides/basic-guide-to-uif-registration - have a look here for more information.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.