What do I do if my refund was paid into the wrong bank account?

I have an employee who submitted their return through a practitioner and asked him to change banking details as the details on the IRP5 were incorrect, they were for another employee. However the return was paid into the other employees account, is there anyway of rectifying this and don't SARS verify banking details? The names are completely different surely the bank wouldn't accept? I would really appreciate your assistance.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
27 March 2013 at 19:20

Unfortunately the only way for banking details to be changed is for the employee to go directly into SARS with the correct documents.

See our blog post - https://www.taxtim.com/blog/how-to-change-your-banking-details-at-sars

Debbie says:
28 March 2013 at 7:24

Thank you for the response, but what happens now that it was paid into a wrong person's account?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
28 March 2013 at 11:56

Unfortunately this money will need to be recovered from the person to whom the money was incorrectly paid.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.