What can I claim as medical expenses for tax purposes?

I incure monthly medical expenses due to my prostate op i had in 2009. I have a 6 month repeat script and check-up once a year. I keep my monthly tax invoice from the pharmacy. Sect 18 of Income tax says I can, but SARS does not entertain this. Can i claim for these expenses?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
16 August 2012 at 19:23

Other medical expenses which are not covered by medical aid are allowed as a deduction only they exceed 7.5% of taxable income. Then the difference will be allowed as a deduction.

However if you are over 65 years of age then all your medical expenses will be allowed as a deduction for tax purposes.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.