Vehicle expenses for business

Gman says:
5 September 2015 at 11:19

When I was a sole proprietor, taxed under my own name, if I drove somewhere on business-related matters, I used my own vehicle. I then claimed those business kilometres as a proportion of the total expenses and depreciation on my vehicle over the course of the tax year. Now I have a (registered) private company - can I still follow the same process, and claim the travel expenses as a tax deduction for my BUSINESS? If not, what are the options for me?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
7 September 2015 at 9:29

How many km do you do a year for business?

Gman says:
7 September 2015 at 9:52

About 4000-5000km

TaxTim TaxTim says:
7 September 2015 at 16:39

It would be best to then have the company pay you a R3.18 per km claim for your business travel as a reimbursive allowance. This will be a deduction for the company and you will not be taxed on the difference.

Gman says:
8 September 2015 at 15:22

Thanks for the feedback. Can I ask, on what basis did you get the R3.18/km figure - is that standard for all vehicles? [btw, my vehicle is a Suzuki SX4 AWD]. Also, what do you mean when you say "you will not be taxed on the difference"? Do you mean I won't get taxed on that income under my personal name? Thank you for your help!

TaxTim TaxTim says:
9 September 2015 at 12:34

R3.18 is the SARS rate per km which is not taxable in your hands if paid as a reimbursed allowance.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.