Taxes for a dormant company

LAN says:
22 August 2015 at 11:44

Sometime last year I registered a company, but it has basically been dormant and I only pay the -R60 into my FNB business account every month to cover the fees (and keep my balance in the black). Instead I have just been doing business in my personal capacity and paying personal income tax (and provisional tax of course). I am unsure about about the rules governing companies, do I still need to submit any forms to SARS (or anybody else for that matter)?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
24 August 2015 at 7:36

Yes you will have to submit a tax return to SARS as well as Provisional Returns. What is the year end of the company?

LAN says:
1 September 2015 at 15:03

From what I have read on the CIPC website, if I miss two tax returns in a row then the company will automatically be deregistered. I'm just going to go that route since I don't really need it anymore.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
3 September 2015 at 12:06

That is correct, you can let the company de-registered like that, but you would still need to notify SARS of this.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.