Tax on part time work

Pjeb05 says:
26 May 2016 at 22:09

I am currently employed and my employer pays PAYE. Recently I undertook small part time jobs probably totaling around R40 000 income for the financial year. Do I need to register as a provisional tax payer, or can I declare this additional income under the local business section of my SARS tax return?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
27 May 2016 at 10:23

You should register as a provisional taxpayer - work through our questions: Am I a Provisional taxpayer? to make sure.

Please also read our blog on What is Provisional Tax? How and when?

If you declare the additional income in your tax return without paying provisional tax during the year, you may be liable for under-estimation penalties from SARS. Read our blog on Provisional Tax Penalties

Get FREE Help with your Tax Return today from

TaxTim's award-winning tax return services are now free to all Momentum policyholders and Multiply clients:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.