Switch to TaxTim and WIN R10,000  T&C's apply
How do you currently do your tax?
SARS eFiling Tax Practitioner Auto-assessment New to tax

Tax on Foreign Income

Hi Tim,I've got a new contracting job where I'll be working from SA, but I'll be paid from the UK. How do declare/pay my taxes on these? And do I have to transfer all my funds back to SA?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
10 February 2013 at 22:15

Unless you get special permission from the South African Reserve Bank you will have to bring the funds back into SA and convert to Rands withing 30 days of earning the income.

There are sections on the ITR12 income tax return for foreign income earned where you would enter the amounts earned. You would also need to register as a provisional taxpayer and submit a IRP6 every 6 months and pay taxes accordingly. This is just an upfront payment and is based on the expected earnings for the tax year.

Nick says:
11 February 2013 at 9:41

Thank you Tim. I'll register as Provisional taxpayer.

On the ITR12, would I put this income as code 3603 (contract work)?

Sorry for all the questions, but what type of deductions are allowed for contractors? As I would need to buy a laptop and have some cellphone expenses in order to do my job?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.