Tax exemption on South African paid salary.

Echo says:
28 May 2015 at 10:14

With regards to be exempt from tax working outside of South Africa (the 183 and 60 day rule). I earn a salary per month and if I work outside SA I get an extra USD per diem which is tax free (S&T). My question is; can I claim the tax paid on my salary back if I make my days out of the country? Then also does the bank that my company use to pay my salary need to be from a bank outside SA to qualify for my salary tax exemption or is it irrelevant ? In my case my salary gets paid from an SA bank account.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
29 May 2015 at 14:05

When do you work outside SA, what amount of time per year?

Echo says:
29 May 2015 at 14:13

I work outside SA when we have contracts for our helicopters other wise I am at work at the base in SA.At this stage it would be possible to make my days out as the contracts is for an extended amount of time and I rotate with another person. I have already done 70 days for this tax period and will most probably make my days out.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
29 May 2015 at 14:50

If you are able to meet the 183 days/60 days criterion then all your income regardless of how it were to be classified would be exempt for the period you were out of SA.

TaxTim is FREE for all Momentum & Multiply members.

Use your ID number at the payment step to claim your free TaxTim voucher

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started FREE

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.