Tax exemption clause

I understand the section 10(1)(o)(ii) about being outside a country for 183 days, of which 60 days must be consecutive in a 12 month cycle. My question however is: the company I work for is registered in SA and pays me in ZAR. But I travel outside South African borders for more than 183 days and for a 60 day continuous stint, am I still exempt from tax then? Or do I have to pay tax as I get paid in ZAR and the company is registered in South Africa?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
12 April 2013 at 12:25

The section applies to work/services performed outside of South Africa, if you meet the requirements regardless of where you get paid and by whom you will still be able to claim tax exemption under this section.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.