Tax deductions on rental property

Dreamer2016 says:
16 June 2016 at 13:56

I have a rental property that's in a different town from the one in which I live. Is the fuel that I use traveling the property to make improvements tax-deductible? Also, what incurred on a rental property are tax deductible?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
16 June 2016 at 23:09

Assuming that you only drive there specifically for purposes related to the property then you could deduct the fuel expense. SARS may ask you to prove this via a logbook however. Please read our blog on Rental property deductions for further information.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.