Tax deduction if I pay spouse's medical aid?

I earn R8400 and pay R1536 monthly for my husbands medical aid. Can I deduct it monthly from my salary for tax purposes?What is a good percentage to pay for medical aid on your income?Thank you

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
21 February 2013 at 16:14

Is your husband a dependent on your medical aid scheme? If so then yes you can deduct the medical payments. Remember though to always keep proof of these payments.

The percentage depends on your need unfortunately, but R1536 per month is quite high unless the plan is a comprehensive cover plan.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.