Submitting a tax return and foreign income

Mari says:
5 June 2019 at 14:32

I have been living abroad for a while, since February 2018 to be exact. I filed my tax return for the 2017/2018 financial year, as it reflected my income for the previous year, during which I was employed in South Africa. I would like to maintain an unbroken record with SARS, but I'm not sure how to file for income earned abroad. My current income is well below the R1 million limit impostor in South Africans working abroad. I will be tax returning to SA in March 2019. So, I would like to know whether I should file or just skip it (since I'm not legally obligated to do so)?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
5 June 2019 at 14:46

Kindly note that as a registered taxpayer in South Africa, you would be liable to submit a tax return.

Please refer to our blog on Foreign Employment Income in order to determine if you will be liable for tax on the foreign income earned.

Additionally, refer to our blog: Reasons you need to file your tax return for more information on the benefits of filing a tax return (always).

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.