Should I move my family's medical aid into the higher earners name?

My wife is the main member on my family's medical aid, but she earns less than me. If I moved the policy into my name, could we save more tax because I'm in a higher tax bracket?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
30 May 2013 at 22:43

Unfortunately not, regardless of what the income level is the medical tax credits remain the same and are dependent on the number of members of the scheme. In fact the lower income earner has a higher chance of the additional tax deduction for out of pocket medical expenses as this is calculated on the amount exceeding 7.5% of taxable income.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.