SARS appointed my employer as agent?

According to SARS I have penalties of R22 250. I only discovered this recently after becoming more educated about the whole tax thing and investigated my own SARS status etc. Naturally I had to update my details and they now know where I work. 3 weeks ago, my employer received a letter saying something about appointment of agency and that she had to pay R1 500 per month over to SARS, in order to pay the penalties. Around the same time I went to SARS offices to log a dispute re the penalties and have not heard anything else. The letter my employer received must have been sent to her before I started the dispute. But now what? I work on commission. My basic is only R2 000 per month? Can they legally do this? What do I do now?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
9 January 2013 at 23:15

SARS is allowed to issue instructions for employers to take a monthly amount off in order to settle tax liabilities. This is called a garnashee order, but cannot put you in a position where you have to suffer further debt because they amount they are taking is too high.

The dispute process with SARS will take quite a long time, in the meantime they are allowed to ask for payment to be made against the penalties. You can go into a branch office and request that they suspend deductions until the process is resolved either way.

TaxTim is FREE for all Momentum & Multiply members.

Use your ID number at the payment step to claim your free TaxTim voucher

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started FREE

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.