Blog Q&A Calculators Students Logbook Contact
Earn under R350,000?Click here to see why you still need to file to get your Tax Refund.

Portion of retirement annuity contribution gets coded as 3808, why?

Posted 13 July 2016 under Tax Q&A


Let TaxTim
help you
submit your
Tax returns!


TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories


Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →
Johann says:
13 July 2016 at 11:32

Last year my employer added a RA to our benefits. The deal was that the employee pays 5% of salary towards the RA and the Employer would pay 7% to total of 12% of salary towards RA. On this years IRP5 there is a big amount listed as code 3808 (Payment of Employee Debt if the policy is owned by the employee) and it seems that this amount equates to the 7% portion that the employer paid. This has a negative effect on my returns as it seems that I now get penalised by SARS for this amount. Should the entire 12% not be codes as 4006 for RA ?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
13 July 2016 at 12:50

You are right, your employer needs to add the 12% together and this contribution should reflect under code 4006 on your IRP5.


Get Tax Deadline Reminders, News and Tips
 

We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.

Blog Categories


Let TaxTim
help you
submit your
Tax returns!


TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started