I have a problem understanding my payslip. I am a freelance and earn only commissions.
I dont know what to claim of my income tax;
My payslip consist of:
- Total earnings : 7500
- total company contributions : xxx
- taxable earnings : xxx (what does that mean)
- tax : xxx
- total deductions : xxx
- net salary : xxx

What is tax and total deductions? Those two amounts sometimes differs and sometimes are the same. As I am a freelance and work by commission my salary is different every month, so when I want to fill my IRP5, how must I know what amount to put in there, is it the total of tax written on every payslips or total deductions? When can I claim my tax, end of March or end of June?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
3 July 2013 at 8:47

Did you not receive an IRP5 from each company who paid you throughout the year? They should have done so and you would use these IRP5's with the summaries of all those totals to complete your ITR12 tax return.

Jess says:
3 July 2013 at 14:14

No they never did and I know they are obliged to. The IRP5 are for every months or once a year?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
3 July 2013 at 23:40

Your employer has a duty to give you an IRP5 which is the annual summary of the year's income, deductions and PAYE. You must check with them if they have submitted all these details to SARS and whether they have prepared your IRP5 for you.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.