Passive income of spouses married in community of property?

I understand that when one spouse recieves interest or dividends, that it is deemed to have acrrued equally between the spouses married in community of property. When completing the tax return and answering the questions that TaxTim asks you, do you fill in 50% of the interest or dividend that you earn as the other 50% will be taxed in the hands of the spouse, or do you fill in 100% of the interest or dividends?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
13 September 2012 at 9:36

You would need to enter that you are married in community of property when asked that question and they you must include the 100% amount. When you do complete your return on eFiling, after Tim has shown you what to do, please check the first page with all your personal details that the box is marked "married in community of property" and that your spouse's name is filled in.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.