Offshore tax exemption

There are roamers stating that if you work outside SA (offshore and not shore based) and your income is foreign based you do not require the 60 day period as indicated in section 10 o or 10 (1)o and in some instances don't even require the 183 day if you have been tax exempt for more that 5 years continuously . Please could you shed some light on these roamers..

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
10 December 2012 at 16:31

Before I answer this, are you living in South Africa and intend to stay here or have you officially emigrated?

PTU says:
10 December 2012 at 17:30

Hi Tim
Yes I live in South Africa and I am a South African citizen but have been working offshore on contract basis for the past 10 years or so.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
11 December 2012 at 22:37

If you are living in South Africa and spend longer than 183 days each year in SA then you will be liable for tax in South Africa on all income, regardless of where it was paid from. So when you say you live in SA, but work offshore, what do you mean?

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.