Money gift to friends, tax requirements

Debbie says:
1 February 2017 at 9:36

If I make money selling my book (I pay my normal tax on the income) and then want to give cash gifts of R50 000 each to 6 of my friends who need the financial help, do they have to pay tax on the received amount or do I have to pay extra tax on the money I give away?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
1 February 2017 at 9:55

The gifts will be subject to donations tax which is a tax in the hands of the donor (ie you) and not the recipient. However, individuals obtain an annual R100,000 exemption per year and then tax is levied at 20% on the amount above R100,000.Therefore if you donate R300,000 all in the same tax year, R100,000 will be exempt from donations tax and you will need to pay donations tax on 20% X R200,000 = R40,000. You could consider donating half now and half in the next tax year (from 1 March) so as to benefit from the R100,000 exemption twice. You would then only need to apply donations tax on R100,000.

Read our blog on Donations Tax for further clarification.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.