Medical tax credit if I am sponsoring my Mom's medical aid?

Charlene says:
7 July 2015 at 13:03

I am an employed person and have no trouble doing my tax return with SARS e-filing. What I would like to know is the following: Since October 2013 I have been paying my Mom's medical aid, she is a 70 year old pensioner (state pension grant) and not registered for tax. She is not on my medical aid as it is more affordable to have a separate medical aid for her.

This year she received a tax certificate from her medical aid. Is there any way in which I can claim for her medical aid contributions on my tax return as I am the sponsor? Could it be seen as medical expenditure under the code 4020?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
7 July 2015 at 14:00

You can claim this for her if she is financially dependent on you. You would include her under the number of dependents in the Medical section and actually add the amount spent to the 4040 source code.

Charlene says:
7 July 2015 at 18:56

Thank you!

TaxTim TaxTim says:
7 July 2015 at 19:11

Only a pleasure! If SARS audits you then please include a letter explaining the situation and the fact you support her and why her medical aid isn't on your name.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.