Medical costs for operation not paid out by Medical Aid

Sam says:
9 November 2015 at 21:51

Hi I have a question regarding medical claims not paid by the medical aid. I had a c-section operation in 2014. The Doctor put in a claim of R13k and the medical aid made a payment from the scheme of R3K, leaving a balance of R10K. The amount for unpaid claims on the medical aid certificate for the 2014/2015 tax year is only approx R4K.

Should this R10K amount of the c-section be added to the medical claims not paid by the medical aid? Tax Code 4020 becomes R4K R10K = R14K. What about money that is paid out directly to me from my medical savings section of my medical aid, can this also be added, if I used it to settled medical expenses?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
10 November 2015 at 8:00

Yes the R10 000 will be added to the R4 000 on the certificate, but the remaining savings amount cannot as this forms part of the contribution to the medical aid.

Sam says:
10 November 2015 at 12:51

Thanks Tax Tim

So just to clarify...Any amounts that was paid out directly to me from my medical savings section, and if I used the money to settle a medical account, I can add all these extra amounts to the to Tax code 4020, up and above the amount indicated on the medical certificate?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
10 November 2015 at 15:30

Any amounts that were settled by you personally, which were not paid either to the medical aid or by the medical aid can be used as "Out of pocket" expenses.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.