Switch to TaxTim and WIN R10,000  T&C's apply
How do you currently do your tax?
SARS eFiling Tax Practitioner Auto-assessment New to tax

Medical contributions claim by dependent

Carly says:
4 July 2017 at 17:32

My husband and I are both on a medical aid where he is classified as being the main member, and myself as number 2. Whilst our monthly contributions are taken from my husband's bank account (as the main member), I pay for my portion each month by making a deposit into his bank account. How do I go about capturing this correctly via TaxTim as I want to ensure that I can claim for the medical aid contributions that I am making each month? I am also unsure how to answer your question "Do you belong to a medical aid and are you the main member?" because the answer is yes to part 1, and no to part 2 as I am not the main member. How do I go about capturing my contributions as the secondary member?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
4 July 2017 at 22:02

The principal member of the medical aid must capture the full expense per the medical aid tax certificate in their tax return. The tax benefit cannot be split between members for tax purposes. Therefore, you would answer no to the question as you are not the main member.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.