Do your tax with TaxTim and WIN R10,000  T&C's apply
How do you currently do your tax?
SARS eFiling Tax Practitioner Auto-assessment New to tax

Learning disablity claimable from SARS

Charmaine says:
21 May 2020 at 11:11

I pay for a scriber to assist my daughter that has a learning disability, I would like to know whether I will be able to claim this expense from SARS. I did not register my daughter with SARS or SASSA. So, I do not know what process to follow regarding this matter would be.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
21 May 2020 at 16:51

If her disability is a condition that will last for longer than a year, you need to have it confirmed by a medical practitioner on the ITR-DD form obtainable from SARS. Once done you can claim for the disability on your tax return. Here is examples of qualified disabilities they should have a physical disability (such as wheelchair user, walking aids etc.), mental disability (such as clinical depression, bipolar disorder, dementia, schizophrenia and anxiety disorders etc.) and intellectual disability (such as down syndrome, autism etc.) To download the ITR-DD form, please make use of this link here: Confirmation of Diagnosis of Disability - External Form 

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim is FREE for all Momentum & Multiply members.

Use your ID number at the payment step to claim your free TaxTim voucher

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started FREE

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.