ITR12 for foreign personal service providers possible?

Hi Tim, I am running a sole proprietorship that is registered in Europe and provides consulting services to South African companies. My client classified my company as a personal service provider and started to withhold 28% tax. I registered as a tax payer (IT77) and created a SARS efiling account for organisations. The efiling account only offers me the option to submit an ITR12 return. The tax calculator assigns the normal personal income tax and not the flat 28% for personal service providers. I wonder if there is a way of submitting the tax return as a personal service provider (and being liable for the 28% tax rate) without registering as a company? Thanks!

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
1 July 2013 at 22:52

Unfotunately you would have to register as an "entity" and complete the form as a personal service provider. Your ITR12 only caters for individuals and cannot be altered. In South Africa you don't register a sole proprietorship.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.