Is submitting a tax claim compulsory?

Is there a penalty if i don't submit my IRP5 and medical tax certificate for my tax claim?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
28 August 2012 at 12:33

SARS does not require you to submit any supporting documentation unless you are requested to do so after you have filed your tax return. This is only if you are audited and is not the usual case. However you must keep these records for 5 years just in case SARS asks at some later date.

There won't be any penalty:)

Joyce says:
29 August 2012 at 13:36

Thank you for your response, although I still need some clarity on this matter. My question is based on the fact that in some years, I think 2002 and 2003 I did not complete or submit any forms to SARS. In 2004 when I submitted, I was fined R300 for not sumitting for the other years. This is what my question is all my about and this is all because I do not see any reason why I shoild rush and do it since I am kept waiting that long to get my refund. I may as well keep it like that and not make any action for another two years but I need to know what consequences I will be faced with. Am I going to be fined for doing that.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
29 August 2012 at 17:58

Sorry for the misunderstanding, did you pay that fine from 2002/2003? If not you, SARS will be charging you interest on any amount owing and this can tally up quite a lot over the years. The other problem is that currently SARS refuses to release any refund due until all your tax matters are settled including any outstanding amounts. I know it is frustrating that they take so long to refund any tax owing to you, but unfortunately government works exceptionally slowly and their priority isn't returning money to taxpayers.

If SARS don't ask for supporting documentation then the refund usually takes place within 3 days so if they owe you money after any penalties and fines they will pay it over quickly. The other problem is that if you are not up to date on all your tax affairs then you won't be able to get a tax clearance certificate which is needed to take money out of South Africa and even for applying for home loans so this is important.

My advice is to file your 2012 return and get up to date with your tax affairs. The fines and penalties never stop and eventually you will have to pay SARS for what you owe them.

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.