Is it necessary to inform SARS of additional income received?

Whitney says:
8 June 2016 at 13:44

Hi TaxTim

I am a full time salaried employee but I also sometimes get tutoring jobs and I run a lift club. Will I need to declare what I earn for the latter 2 items?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
9 June 2016 at 8:22

Yes, you should do if your total income (salary plus additional) for the year is above the tax threshold which is currently R75,00 per year.

You may need to register as a provisional taxpayer - please work through our questions:
Am I a Provisional taxpayer?

Please also read our blog on What is Provisional Tax? How and when?

Tax filing season opens 1 July 2016! Please Register for TaxTimand let us assist you to complete and submit your tax return to SARS.

Whitney says:
9 June 2016 at 9:45

So, when does the "if you earn less than R350k a year, you don't have to submit a tax return" come into play?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
9 June 2016 at 11:20

SARS did put out that communication last year some time, however we strongly advise you to file a tax return if you are paying tax. Please read our blog on Reasons you should file your tax return

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.