Import license / register under personal name or business name?

Hi Tim
Just started my own business - and still need to learn the ropes.
Im doing everything according to the book / or am trying to.
I will be importing products - so should I register the import license to my personal name or to the business. Tax implications?

Thanks a lot Tim

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
11 December 2012 at 22:33

If you are running the activities through the business it would be best to assign the import license to the actual business as it will be the business doing the importing and not you in your personal name. You would need to show the import license number on a lot of documentation and so it makes sense to do it this way.

From an income/corporate tax and VAT perspective the business would be taxed at 28% unless it qualifies as a small business. In your personal name you could be taxed up to 40% so it would be wiser to go through the business if there is large income.

AD says:
12 December 2012 at 12:48

Thanks Tim!


TaxTim TaxTim says:
12 December 2012 at 13:14

Only a pleasure! Anytime!

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.