If out of the country for longer than 183 days, what portion of my income is exempt from tax?

I worked for a South African company (for 1 year), and did most of my work in another country, where I meet the 183 day & 60 consecutive day requirement. My question is: I earned a basic salary, plus allowances for being in another country, e.g. food allowance, transport, accommodation, etc. These allowances were paid together with my salary. Based on my total income from the company - what portion of this will be taxed and what will be exempt?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
19 June 2013 at 18:15

The portion that will be exempt is the portion that you were out of the country for, so you would take your income and divide it by the number of days in and out of the country and you will be taxed accordingly.

TaxTim is FREE for all Momentum & Multiply members.

Use your ID number at the payment step to claim your free TaxTim voucher

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started FREE

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.