If I was apart of a graduate programme, is the salary I received taxable?

I received a monthly salary during a 7 month Graduate Programme, which had taxed deducted per month.
I've heard some people say the were able to get the deducted tax back, and would like to know if this is true? If so, how would I go about getting that back?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
29 October 2012 at 17:39

When you complete your income tax return you will show the details of the salary paid and the tax paid on it. You most likely will be entitled to a portion of it back as a tax refund because the calculation used to deduct the tax monthly is based on the assumption that you worked the entire year. You would register as normal as a taxpayer and submit your return. When did you do this graduate program?

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.