If I do 183 or more and 60 cont. and get paid from a company abroad I am tax free so to speak?

Now, if I do 150 and 60 cont. I need another 33 days to be tax free. Let's say I have a vacation in botswana and namibia for 40 days, do those days count towards my tax days.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
19 May 2013 at 16:32

The legislation reads that you need to have spent at least 183 days out of SA in a calender year, so yes this would count towards those days. However only the income earned would be tax free, if you received other income from a SA source while on vacation such as interest then you would still have to pay tax on that income. The 183 day rule applies to work performed outside of SA only.

James says:
19 May 2013 at 17:32

Thanks, it makes sense. Understood.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
20 May 2013 at 17:55

Only a pleasure!

TaxTim is FREE for all Momentum & Multiply members.

Use your ID number at the payment step to claim your free TaxTim voucher

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started FREE

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.