If a educational service is rendenderd can I claim depreciation on laptop and other expenses?

I rendered services to a home schooling business by draw up exam papers for them and receives the money by electronic payment. No tax is deducted by them because I am not on their payroll. Can I deduct depreciation on my computer. Can I claim any other expenses like internet service, printing. Can I claim a home office?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
18 November 2014 at 12:44

Yes you can claim all those expenses, but you would complete the Local Business Section of the return and include the portion of the rent/home office expenses related to your work. ie the office space as a percentage of the entire house x by the rent.

Tax Season closes 21st November 2014 - take advantage of our final week 25% off voucher code ACB6ACD2B76A when purchasing any of our packages upfront. Visit our Pricing Page

TaxTim can help you file your Tax return!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.