I work as a full time waitress and I earn a small shift allowance, the rest earned is tips. Do I pay

Am I eligible for paying tax?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
18 November 2012 at 21:01

You will be taxed on your shift allowance if your income for the 2012 tax year was greater than R59 750. Your tips were not taxed, this is changing, but for the current tax season which you are filing in only your shift allowance would be taxable if the amount was over that threshold for the year.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.