I live overseas do I need to change my address with SARS?

Posted 20 November 2012 under Tax Q&A
I moved out of SA and do not currently earn any money, my address on my tax return is still my SA address, do I need to change it to my overseas one? I have not emmigrated and still have active accounts in SA. I return only for short holidays and am not sure if I intend returning at this stage.

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
5 November 2012 at 7:25

Ideally you should include your latest address on your tax return as SARS would like to keep track of where you live. However this can prove difficult because if you change it online they may want proof of change of address. If you really want to be up to date then the next time you come to SA, go into a SARS office with a utility bill from your current foreign address. Until then it should be ok to keep the old address.

Get FREE Help with your Tax Return today from

TaxTim's award-winning tax return services are now free to all Momentum policyholders and Multiply clients:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →