I have a medical claim of R4500 which was not covered by my medical aid, can I claim this as a tax d

Any cash payment for medical expences = e.g. a single claim of R4500 and another of R2400. Can these costs be deducted from my tax return?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
13 May 2013 at 13:44

Yes you would include these amounts under the question asking you if you had any medical expenses not reimbursed or covered by your medical aid. SARS then uses a formula to determine how much of it can be claimed as a tax deduction.

Submit your tax return right here!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.