I don't have a Medical Aid. May I still claim for medical expenses like GP visits, dental etc?

I would like to know as this is a question I have asked many times and cannot seem to find an answer. I am NOT on any medical aid but sometimes I have to go to the doctor or dentist. May I claim for the prescribed medication and for the visits etc?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
11 December 2012 at 22:35

You can definitely claim for these expenses provided you can demonstrate to SARS that you paid for them. These expenses are called, "qualifying medical expenditure" and would be allowed as a deduction with certain limits.

Things like doctors, dentists, specialists, over the counter medication, prescribed medication etc Anything a normal medical aid would cover if you had full coverage can be claimed.

Do your Tax Return in 20 minutes or less!

TaxTim will help you:

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Tim uses your answers to complete your income tax return instantly and professionally, with everything filled in in the right place.

Let Tim submit your tax return direct to SARS in just a few clicks!

Get started

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.