I claim medical aid but medical aid not in my name, am I allowed to do this?

I pay the monthly medical aid fee but the medical aid is in my spouse's name. I want to claim this as he does not pay tax, is this allowed?

This entry was posted in Tax Q&A and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
4 September 2012 at 20:41

Are you a dependent on the medical aid?

Meddie says:
5 September 2012 at 8:10

Yes, I am a dependent with my 2 children.

TaxTim TaxTim says:
5 September 2012 at 9:35

In most circumstances the main member needs to claim the medical aid contribution, however it is accepted that if a spouse or child is paying for their parent then they would be able to make the claim, so you can go ahead and make the claim on your return.

Meddie says:
5 September 2012 at 10:54

Thank you

jim gray says:
16 October 2012 at 14:04

Hi Tim - like your site
I'm over 65 - my wife is not
She is the main member on our medical aid
Should we submit claims seperately or is there provision for claims for over and under 65's on same claim form ?

TaxTim TaxTim says:
17 October 2012 at 0:41

Hi Jim,

Thanks very much for the complimentary words!

Your wife would make the claim on her income tax return as she is the main member and paying for your contribution. Unfortunately in your case the medical aid deduction will be limited to her age.

Any other qualifying medical expenditure which you pay for which is not recouped from the medical aid can be submitted as part of your return, if you make these payments.

I hope this answers your question?


TaxTim is FREE for all Momentum & Multiply members.

Use your ID number at the payment step to claim your free TaxTim voucher

 Do Your Tax Return Easily
 Avoid penalties
 Maximise your refund

Get started FREE

Blog Categories

Ask TaxTim

Got a question you want answered about tax?

Visit our helpdesk →

Get SARS Tax Deadlines in your Inbox
We'll tell you when you need to file, along with tax tips and updates.